East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service received an emergency call at 02.50am outlining a fire at the Royal Oak Inn, Pett, near Rye.
Two adults and a child were asleep in the building at the time and were woken by a smoke alarm sounding. The family found their normal exit blocked by smoke and made their way to their alternative escape route, which was a flat roof on the outside of the property.
One fire engine and an aerial ladder platform from Bohemia Road fire station were immediately dispatched along with two fire engines from The Ridge fire station, Hastings.
On arrival, crews rescued three people from the flat roof and used two breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet to extinguish a fire in a tumble dryer.