Monday, 30 April 2012

Warning to cooking enthusiasts

Lovers of cooking are being warned to keep a close eye on anything in the oven following two recent kitchen fires.

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service were called out to a flat in Hollingbury, Brighton, on Friday (27th April) at 10.09am where the smell of smoke was reported. Crews from Brighton and Hove attended, including the Aerial Ladder Platform.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and used one hose reel jet to tackle the fire. A Positive Pressure Ventilation Fan was also used to clear smoke from the property and home safety advice was given to those living there. The cause of the fire is being attributed to overcooked food.

Meanwhile, Bexhill firefighters were called out to a property in Preston Road, Sidley, on Saturday afternoon at 3.45pm, after reports of an oven fire.

Firefighters entered the building wearing breathing apparatus and used one hose reel to tackle the fire, as well as a Positive Pressure Ventilation Fan to clear the building of smoke. No-one was injured and a home safety visit was carried out.

More than half of accidental fires at home are started by cooking.

Many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended.

Find out how to keep safe while you are cooking and what to do if a fire starts in your kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment