Tuesday, 4 September 2012

Hove fire sparks safety warning

Hove firefighters are warning smokers of the dangers of carelessly discarding cigarettes, following a fire at a Nursing Home in Hove.

Three fire engines from Brighton and Hove, along with the Aerial Ladder Platform from Preston Circus, were all sent to Wilbury Gardens yesterday morning (3rd September) at 10.40am.

Upon arrival, all the residents had been evacuated and staff had tackled the fire themselves with a fire extinguisher.

The fire was sparked by a cigarette after the occupant of the flat fell asleep.

Watch Commander Roger Lovewell said:

“The Nursing Home followed the evacuation procedures but in the event of a fire we would always recommend not to tackle the fire, get out, stay out and call the fire service out.

“We would remind smokers to extinguish any smoking materials or matches thoroughly before leaving them, not to overload ash trays and don’t smoke in bed.”

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service would emphasise the need for all householders to have at least one working smoke alarm in their properties.

Smoking is the biggest house fire killer:
  • More people die in fires caused by smoking than in fires caused by anything else.
  • Tobacco is manufactured to stay alight, meaning it can remain smouldering and start a fire.
  • More than a third of all deaths in fires in the home are caused by cigarettes.
ENDS

No comments:

Post a Comment