Brighton firefighters are urging people to use their washing machine in the daytime when at home, as apposed to at night.
This warning follows an incident where crews were called out to Hollingbury Road, Brighton, on Friday (12th October) morning at 9.53.
Luckily, the occupant was able to contact East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service immediately as she spotted smoke coming from the machine.
Crews were able to reach the property in time to disconnect the machine and take it outside before any fire could take hold.
Two fire engines attended and made the property safe within minutes.