Friday, 2 November 2012

Candle bag blaze sparks safety warning


Firefighters have issued a safety warning following a recent fire in a bedroom, sparked by a Halloween Candle Bag. 

Candle bags are flame retardant paper bags which, when a tea light is placed inside, are increasingly being used to create both indoor and outdoor lighting effects. 

Similar in concept to Chinese Lanterns, they are used for special occasions such as Bonfire night, Christmas, birthdays, weddings, festivals and other events. 

Community Safety Team Manager, Steve Wright, said: “When using any product that incorporates any form of candle it must be used in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions. Candles should never be left unattended; they should always be properly extinguished before going to bed or leaving the property.

“To ensure that you protect yourself and your family you should make sure you have working smoke alarms installed in your home and test it regularly. East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service offer free home fire safety visits, which will provide you with vital information on safety in your home and where necessary we will provide and fit smoke alarms to give you the earliest possible warning of a fire.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment