Thursday, 22 November 2012

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week 19th – 25th November


East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service are helping to raise awareness of Carbon Monoxide Awareness week which takes place 19th - 25th November 2012.

2012 has seen many tragic incidents reported in the media due to carbon monoxide poisoning. All these serve as a sombre reminder that we should all be working hard to increase the awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning.

We all can take steps to reduce the risk of carbon Monoxide poisoning. Ensure that, if you have not already done so, any solid fuel appliance are serviced or cleaned. This includes wood burning stoves, as well as open fires. Many people believe that carbon monoxide is restricted to gas appliances, but any appliance that burns gas, wood, oil or coal could give off carbon monoxide.

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service strongly advise you to ensure appliances such as boilers, heaters and cookers are given a thorough check by a registered engineer on a regular basis.

Never take portable/disposable barbecues into an enclosed tent or caravan for cooking or heating purposes.  Lethal levels of CO can be produced in poorly ventilated spaces.

Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector that is compliant with British Standard BS 7860 - but remember they are only warning devices and shouldn't be solely relied on.

Further information on carbon monoxide poisoning including prevention advice can be found at http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/carbon-monoxide-poisoning/pages/introduction.aspx
Information can also be found at the Carbon Monoxide Awareness Community Group website www.covictim.org

No comments:

Post a Comment