Tuesday, 6 November 2012

Hastings fire sparks dangers of leaving cooking unattended

Hastings firefighters are warning of the dangers of leaving cooking unattended following a fire at the weekend.

Three fire engines and an Aerial Ladder Platform were called to Athelstan Road, Hastings, in the early hours of Sunday morning (4th November) at 1.16am. There were fears that the occupant had gone back inside the burning building.

Crews wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel jet to tackle the cooker fire. No-one was injured.

The fire was out by 1.41am and crews carried out a 'quick strike' of the area, whereby neighbouring properties were offered safety advice.

Community Safety Manager, Steve Wright, said: “There are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen. Make sure you don’t get distracted when you are cooking."

In the event of a fire East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service always recommends to ‘get out, stay out and call 999’ and not to tackle the fire but to leave it to the professionals.



No comments:

Post a Comment