Friday, 7 December 2012

Hastings fire sparks safety warning

A stark reminder that more than half of all accidental fires in the home are started by cooking has been prompted by a Hastings incident.

Last night (6th December), fire crews were called to London Road, St Leonards-on-Sea, at 6.05pm after reports of a flat fire, caused by overheated food.

Residents had self-evacuated by the time the two fire engines arrived at the scene and firefighters entered the building wearing breathing apparatus.

After tackling the fire, crews used a Positive Pressure Ventilation Fan to clear the building of smoke and then they spent time cutting away to check for any pockets of fire.

Following the incident, crews spoke with the residents in the block of flats and offered everyone a Home Safety Visit.

Firefighters also fitted smoke alarms throughout the building. The 22-year-old occupant of the flat was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure after suffering from smoke inhalation. The cause of the fire is accidental.

Crew Commander Graham Geer said:

 “I would like to remind people that many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended."

Find out how to keep safe while you are cooking and what to do if a fire starts in your kitchen by going to the East Sussex Fire & Rescue website's Community Pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment