Friday, 7 December 2012

Second cooking-related fire for Hastings

Hastings fire crews were called out to a second cooking-related incident on the same day.

Three fire engines, along with the aerial ladder platform, were sent yesterday (6th December) to Holmesdale Gardens, Hastings, at 8.35pm.

A fire had broken out in a first-floor flat after the occupant had fallen asleep but had  left food cooking underneath the grill, which had spread and set fire to paperwork on top of the cooker.

The man was woken by concerned neighbours after the fire alarm sounded. Residents were leaving the building as fire crews arrived and they entered wearing breathing apparatus and managed to safely rescue a dog from the fire.

The occupant was taken to hospital after suffering from breathing in smoke. Crews carried out a Home Safety Visit following the incident.

There are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen. Make sure you don't get distracted when you are cooking, and:
  • Take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you're called away from the cooker, eg by a phone call.
  • Take care if you're wearing loose clothing as it can catch fire easily.
  • Don't cook if you have been drinking alcohol or taken prescription drugs - you may get drowsy or lose concentration.
For further information on cooking safely go to the East Sussex Fire & Rescue community safety pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment