Monday, 18 February 2013

Uckfield cinema evacuation sparks electrical safety warning


Uckfield Picture house was evacuated yesterday afternoon (Sunday) when a smell of burning filled one of the cinemas in the historic building.

Two fire engines from Forest Row and Uckfield were sent to the cinema in the High Street, Uckfield, at just after 3.30pm.

Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to locate a small electrical fire in some low voltage stair safety lighting.

Watch Manager Ian Ritchie said: “The Picture House staff had done an excellent job in evacuating 240 people from the three cinemas by the time we arrived”.

The power to the lights was isolated and once confirmed as safe the customers were allowed back in to continue with their matinee performances.

While incidents involving low voltage lighting are uncommon, this serves as a timely reminder to all to ensure that all electrical equipment is maintained, repaired or replaced by a qualified electrician.


No comments:

Post a Comment