Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Firefighters rescue man in St Leonards-on-Sea

The importance of a working smoke alarm has been highlighted by an incident in which a man had to be rescued by firefighters from a property in St Leonards-on-Sea.

A fire started in a kitchen in a flat within a house of multiple-occupancy in the early hours of 3rdMarch. Three fire engines from Hastings, as well as the Aerial Ladder Platform, attended the incident in Charles Road West, St Leonards-on-Sea at 3.07am and remained at the scene until 4.46am.

Eight people had already self-evacuated and firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus, forced entry into the flat where they found a 59-year-old man asleep in the kitchen. He was rescued by crews and he was given oxygen at the scene and then taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

A Positive Pressure Ventilation Fan was used to blow smoke from within the building. The cause of the fire was found to be accidental due to overcooked food.

Watch Manager Lee Mepham said: “It is important to ensure that all properties have working smoke alarms and that they are regularly maintained. We would also call upon those responsible for properties to maintain these fire alarm systems.”

No comments:

Post a Comment