Friday, 31 May 2013

Investigation carried out following Brighton house fire

An investigation was carried out following a house fire in Brighton in the early hours of this morning (31stMay).

Three crews from Preston Circus and Roedean were called to a terraced property in Islingword Road, Brighton, at 1.22am.

Seven people had already self-evacuated the property by the time crews arrived at the scene and paramedics treated one man, in his twenties, for breathing in smoke.

Firefighters evacuated the neighbouring property, as a precautionary measure, whilst two crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the property to tackle the blaze.

The first-floor bedroom was severely damaged by fire and the rest of the property suffered smoke and water damage, from a burst pipe.

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service remained at the incident until 3.12am and the cause of the fire was found to be accidental, caused by smoking materials.

The property was not fitted with a working smoke alarm and statistics show that you are four times more likely to die in an accidental fire in the home without one installed.

Smoking is the biggest house fire killer and the public are reminded of the dangers of lighting up in the home.
  • More people die in fires caused by smoking than in fires caused by anything else.
  • Tobacco is manufactured to stay alight, meaning it can remain smouldering and start a fire.
  • More than a third of all deaths in fires in the home are caused by cigarettes.
Smokers are being warned that they must wake up to the deadly dangers of smoking - especially when tired.

Cigarettes burn at 700ÂșCelsius and contain chemicals which keep them alight.

Smoking is the single biggest killer in accidental fires in the home, often because of careless behaviour such as smoking in bed or not taking care after drinking alcohol. 

And when smokers fall asleep with a lit cigarette in hand, their proximity to the resulting fire seriously lowers their chance of escaping in time.
We are reminding smokers to;
  • 'Put it Out, Right Out' whenever they light up
  • Install smoke alarms on every level of the home; and, to test them regularly.

Thursday, 30 May 2013

Emergency Services working together

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service, Sussex Police and South East Coast Ambulance service have recently been working with students from William Parker School, Hastings.
The students are studying a Public Services Course and recently undertook a road safety education and road traffic collision demonstration as part of their studies.

The event gave students first-hand experience of extrication of a casualty from a vehicle at a road traffic collision scene, as well as an opportunity to learn more about the ‘fatal four’ - seatbelts, distraction, drink/drugs and speeding.

Dan Channon, Arson and Incident Reduction Manager, East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service, said: “This was the second demonstration the emergency services have done at the school to assist the students with their Public Service Course and to encourage the road users of the future to drive safely.

“I would like to thank local crews from Hastings for all their hard work, energy and enthusiasm.”   

Families are invited to Forest Row’s Community Fire Station Open Day which promises to be a great day out for all.

A free day of entertainment will be available from 11am to 3pm, on Saturday 1st June, with displays from the Water Safety Team from Crowborough, information about East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service’s Black Museum website, the Firefighters Charity stall and Forest Row Brownie Pack providing refreshments.

Watch Manager Ian Franks said: “This is a big community event, it’s a fantastic opportunity to welcome the public we serve and demonstrate the wide range of preventative work East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service undertakes”.

So, come rain or shine, why not spend the day with your local firefighters and have a spectacular day of fun!

Sussex Safer Roads Partnership promote Drink Or Drive campaign this summer

This Summer, we want to reduce the number of people injured on our roads through alcohol consumption. Our message, which you may have seen at Christmas, is simple:

If you’re planning to drink, don’t drive.  Or if you’re planning to drive, don’t drink – because there really is no sure way to know if you’re going to be safe on the roads even after just one alcoholic beverage.

It is a choice to drink or drive.

It’s a simple choice.  One which we wish everybody would make.

As an alternative to alcoholic drinks, why not try a Mocktail this summer? With recipes provided by the Mocktail Apprentice Project and the Department for Transport, there's a few varieties to give you some inspiration!

Some people might make the wrong choice this Summer - but you can step in to make the roads safer by reporting them directly to Sussex Police.  Either text 65999 with all of the details (location, time, vehicle make/model etc) or call 999 if someone is already driving drunk.

Working together, we can make our roads safer for everyone by reinforcing that simple choice - to drink or to drive, but never both.

Boiler fire – New England Street, Brighton

On 29thMay at 7.19pm, crews from Roedean, Hove and Preston Circus were dispatched to a property in Pullman Haul, New England Street, Brighton.

Crews confirmed there was excessive smoke coming from a woodchip boiler and requested the attendance of an Aerial Ladder Platform to the property.

Firefighters found the smoke was confined to the boiler; however they were concerned the boiler was emitting excessive smoke and took the venting apart to ensure there was no fire. This confirmed there had been a fire, which was out, involving the ducting from the boiler.

Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Fire at a property on Eastbourne Road, Seaford

On 28thMay at 11.15am, crews from Newhaven and Seaford responded to a fire at a property on Eastbourne Road, Seaford.

On arrival, crews confirmed the fire was in the study area of the property and used two breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet to extinguish the flames.

Crews isolated the gas and electric and used a Positive Pressure Ventilation fan to disperse the smoke.

Firefighters requested the attendance of UK Power Network.