Friday, 31 May 2013

Investigation carried out following Brighton house fire

An investigation was carried out following a house fire in Brighton in the early hours of this morning (31stMay).

Three crews from Preston Circus and Roedean were called to a terraced property in Islingword Road, Brighton, at 1.22am.

Seven people had already self-evacuated the property by the time crews arrived at the scene and paramedics treated one man, in his twenties, for breathing in smoke.

Firefighters evacuated the neighbouring property, as a precautionary measure, whilst two crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the property to tackle the blaze.

The first-floor bedroom was severely damaged by fire and the rest of the property suffered smoke and water damage, from a burst pipe.

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service remained at the incident until 3.12am and the cause of the fire was found to be accidental, caused by smoking materials.

The property was not fitted with a working smoke alarm and statistics show that you are four times more likely to die in an accidental fire in the home without one installed.

Smoking is the biggest house fire killer and the public are reminded of the dangers of lighting up in the home.
  • More people die in fires caused by smoking than in fires caused by anything else.
  • Tobacco is manufactured to stay alight, meaning it can remain smouldering and start a fire.
  • More than a third of all deaths in fires in the home are caused by cigarettes.
Smokers are being warned that they must wake up to the deadly dangers of smoking - especially when tired.

Cigarettes burn at 700ÂșCelsius and contain chemicals which keep them alight.

Smoking is the single biggest killer in accidental fires in the home, often because of careless behaviour such as smoking in bed or not taking care after drinking alcohol. 

And when smokers fall asleep with a lit cigarette in hand, their proximity to the resulting fire seriously lowers their chance of escaping in time.
We are reminding smokers to;
  • 'Put it Out, Right Out' whenever they light up
  • Install smoke alarms on every level of the home; and, to test them regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment