Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Candle sparks fire in Lewes


A candle caused a fire at a house in Lewes in the early hours of this morning.

Three crews from Lewes and Barcombe were called out to North Way at 4.15am (5th June) and remained at the incident until 5.30am.

Thankfully, the family had self-evacuated before crews had arrived and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and used a hose reel to extinguish the fire.

The property suffered both smoke and fire damage and a woman had to be treated at the scene for breathing in smoke.

Crew Commander Andy Watson warns of the dangers of unattended candles: “The family had a lucky escape but there are some simple precautions that people can take to protect themselves and their property from a fire started by a candle. Candles are responsible for causing an average of 27 domestic fires each year in East Sussex.”

It only takes one candle to put your home at risk - always take care when using them.
It is important to keep safety in mind whenever you use candles at home.

Lighted candles - where to put them

You should take care where you decide to put candles in your home. Candles are best placed:

  •  On a heat-resistant surface - be especially careful with night lights and tea lights, which get hot enough to melt plastic.
  •  In a proper candle holder, so they don't fall over.
  •  Out of the reach of children and pets.
  • Out of draughts and away from curtains, other fabrics or furniture, which could catch fire.
  • With at least 1 metre (3 feet) between the candle and any surface above it.
  •  With at least 10 centimetres (4 inches) between any two candles.
  • Away from clothes and hair - if there's any chance you could forget where a candle is and lean across it, put it somewhere else.
Make sure you put out candles before moving them and don't let anything fall into the hot wax, like matchsticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment