Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Bohemia Road Fire Station Open Day proves hot stuff

Green Watch at Bohemia Road fire station opened their doors to the public on Saturday with great success.

The event saw crews from Green Watch provide demonstrations, advice and hospitality to members of the community young and old turned out to watch in the hot weather. Crews showcased their skills and onlookers were able to watch a simulated road traffic collision, whereby firefighters removed the roof to rescue a casualty. Later on a demonstration illustrated a rescue from height, involving the specialist line rescue team.

The crews were supported by a team of East Sussex Fire and Rescue service volunteers and community safety advisors who provided free entertainment for the visitors, whilst promoting positive safety messages in areas such as road safety, electrical safety and the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home.

The main cause of accidental house fires in Hastings is as a result of activities in the kitchen. Hastings Firefighter’s wanted to send a very clear message to the community regarding the dangers of becoming complacent in the kitchen. Firefighters used a chip pan fire demonstration unit which allowed them to safely show the life threatening effect of pouring even a cup of water onto hot fat.

With the summer holidays approaching, many children will be spending more time around the kitchen and barbeques. Whilst it’s great having them around, they can also offer an additional distraction to parents and carers when they are cooking.

It is important that we enjoy this extra time we have with each other during the summer but please let us ensure we do this safely. East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service’s top tips for staying safe this summer are:

  • Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking. Take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.

  • If a pan catches fire, don’t take any risks – Get Out, Stay Out, and Call 999.

  • Double check the hob is off when you’ve finished cooking.

  • Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.

  • Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.

  • Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking.  Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.

  • Take care with electrics - leads and appliances away from water and place grills and away from curtains and kitchen rolls.

  • Keep your equipment clean and in good working order.  A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.

  • Don’t cook after drinking alcohol.
  • Hot oil can catch fire easily - be careful that it doesn’t overheat.
  • Never throw water on a chip pan fire.
  • In the event of a fire, have an escape plan in place.
  • Don’t take risks by tackling a fire. Get out, stay out and call 999.
  • Get a smoke alarm and test it weekly.

No comments:

Post a Comment