Firefighters have been working through the night to tackle a gorse fire on land near to Peacehaven Golf Club.
The fire broke out at 12.06pm yesterday (15thJuly) and crews were due to re-inspect the incident at 8pm last night but were called to attend earlier at 7pm, due to the fire flaring up.
Firefighters left the incident once again at 10pm and returned at midnight to re-inspect but were required once again to tackle the fire, which had re-ignited.
Crews then remained at the incident and are still there this morning damping down, with relief crews arriving at 9am.
At the height of the fire, four landrovers were in attendance from Seaford, Shoreham, Heathfield and Haywards Heath.
These vehicles are specifically designed to act as a lightweight fire-fighting appliance. They are ideal for accessing rural and remote areas. Each vehicle is fitted with a water tank and pump, hoses and equipment, which can cope with most small rural fires.
Firefighters used beaters and flexpacks to fight back the flames, which are portable water supplies, carried on a firefighter’s back.
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service is urging the public to abide by the countryside code:
- Avoid open fires in the countryside. Always have them in safe, designated areas.
- Put out cigarettes and other smoking materials properly before you leave your vehicle
- Don’t leave bottles or glass in woodlands. Sunlight shining through glass can start a fire. Take them home and put them in a recycling bin.
- If you see a fire in the countryside, report it immediately.
- Never throw cigarette ends out of car windows – they could start a fire and ruin surrounding countryside.