Monday, 12 August 2013

Snake escape

A snake escaped from a property in Bexhill and East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service was soon on hand to rescue the reptile.

The corn snake slithered off whilst the owner was feeding the pet at the flat in Albert Road, Bexhill, in the early hours of this morning (12thAugust).

Bexhill firefighters were called to the incident at 1.37am armed with a ladder and chimney kit to retrieve the 1.5metre snake from the guttering and safely returned the snake to its owner.

Firefighters were there for around an hour and offered a Home Safety Visit to the occupier.

Station Commander, Paul Way, said: “Although not an everyday occurrence ESFRS crews were deployed to locate and recover a 1.5 Metre corn snake that had managed to escape from its owner’s home through a top floor window in Bexhill last night immediately after its fortnightly feed.

“Initial location of the snake was problematical as it had taken refuge in guttering at high level and likely curled into a ball due to the comparatively cold weather- compared to its tank.

“Fire crews improvised, using chimney rods and a mirror, to locate the reptile which was then safely recovered via 12 metre ladder using a pillow case.

“Although not dangerous, the corn snake could easily have caused alarm to members of the public.”

ESFRS also attended a serious property fire earlier last week where faulty electrics from a tank, used to home a reptile, was identified as the cause.

Station Commander Way urges people to follow simple basic rules:

Don’t remove a plug from a power point by pulling on the cord; pull the plug instead.

  • Never plug adaptors into adaptors and avoid using adaptors filled with plugs where possible. 
  • Switch off electrical items that are not in regular use at the plug and ensure that when we are away from the house for any length of time that you unplug and switch off electrical items as items left plugged in can be a fire risk and waste energy if left on standby.
  • Do not use any electrical items in the bathroom unless specifically designed for use there, eg. Shavers and electric toothbrushes. Even with these items however, take care not to get wet and avoid plugging and unplugging with wet hands.
  • Do not use items with damaged cords so that the wires are exposed. Either repair or replace. Check items regularly. 
  •   Do not use damaged sockets, replace with care when necessary.
  • Always turn the electrics off at the mains if carrying out any electrical repairs and only attempt repairs if you know what you are doing.
  • Ensure any electrical items are approved standard when purchasing and keep them correctly maintained where necessary. Look for the BEAB seal of approval.
  • Do not use electrical equipment outside if it’s raining.
  • Use the correct wattage light bulb for all light fittings.
  • Circuit breakers and fuses should be the correct size current rating for their circuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment