The Fire Brigades Union have announced that strike action regarding the national dispute over pensions, will take place on Wednesday 25th September 2013, between 12.00 (noon) and 16.00. At this stage we do not know if further dates will be announced.
In the video below, CFO Des Prichard explains how experienced firefighters will be on duty throughout East Sussex and Brighton & Hove City.
Homeowners to remember the following:
- Fit smoke alarms on each floor in your home, keep them dust-free, and test them once a week. Consider buying a ten-year alarm; otherwise change the batteries every year.
- Take special care when you are tired or when you've been drinking. Most domestic fires happen between 10pm and 8am.
- Make an escape plan so that everyone in your home knows how to escape in the event of a fire.
- Keep the exits from your home clear of obstructions so that people can make their escape if there is a fire. Make sure that occupants can find keys for doors and windows easily.
- Take care in the kitchen - accidents while cooking account for 59% of fires in the home. Never leave young children unsupervised in the kitchen.
- Take extra care when cooking with hot oil; if you don't use one already, consider buying an electric thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer.
- Never leave lit candles unattended and ensure that they are in a secure holder on a heat-resistant surface away from flammable materials.
- Don't overload electrical sockets. Remember one socket - one plug!
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
- Don't leave the TV or other electrical appliances on standby as this could cause a fire. Always switch it off and unplug it when not in use.
- Ensure cigarettes are stubbed out and disposed of carefully and never smoke in bed.