Hastings firefighters showered Morrisons shoppers with safety advice and frozen chips, courtesy of the
superstore, as the rain came down.
The event was hailed a huge success and allowed East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service to meet with around 100 people, including some of the most vulnerable members of the community, in the hope of reducing the number of kitchen fires in the town.
Statistics show that more that 72% of Accidental Dwelling Fires involve cooking and ESFRS attended sixteen incidents in August alone within the town. Many of these fires were caused by cooking being left unattended and people becoming distracted.
Morrisons kindly donated bags of frozen chips to be handed out to the public which greatly boosted the success rate of conveying important messages to shoppers.