Monday, 16 September 2013

Chip pan safety message hits home in Warrior Square Gardens



Chip pan fire demonstrations have been used to help residents in Hastings understand how to stay safe cooking.

Hastings firefighters set up in Warrior Square Gardens on Saturday 14th September, to show onlookers what can happen if a chip pan catches alight and how best to deal with it.


Statistics reveal more than two thirds of accidental  fires in homes in St Leonard's involve cooking, with people often becoming distracted by phone calls, family or even falling asleep, as well as leaving things which can catch alight - such as tea towels - too close to the hob.




East Sussex Health Care NHS Trust Health Trainers also attended to help people improve their health but who are not sure how to go about it.

Top tips for staying safe in the kitchen are:

  • Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking. Take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.
  • If a pan catches fire, don’t take any risks – Get Out, Stay Out, and Call 999.
  • Double check the hob is off when you’ve finished cooking.
  • Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
  • Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.
  • Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.
  • Take care with electrics - leads and appliances away from water and place grills and away from curtains and kitchen rolls.
  • Keep your equipment clean and in good working order. A build-up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
  • Don’t cook after drinking alcohol.
  • Hot oil can catch fire easily - be careful that it doesn’t overheat.
  • Never throw water on a chip pan fire.
  • In the event of a fire, have an escape plan in place.
  • Don’t take risks by tackling a fire. Get out, stay out and call 999.
  • Get a smoke alarm and test it weekly.
For more information on fire safety, please visit www.esfrs.org

No comments:

Post a Comment