Friday, 29 November 2013

Firefighters attend collision involving police vehicle

Hove firefighters were called to a road traffic collision involving a police car and a private vehicle.

Two crews were called to New Church Road, Hove, at 2.44pm yesterday afternoon (28th November) where they were called upon to cut a woman free from a vehicle, who was then taken to hospital.

The incident happened at the junction of Saxon Road, which had to be closed to traffic whilst rescue and recovery work got underway.

The road policing unit was responding to an emergency call on blue lights and sirens to a report of a man who was threatening suicide on Hove seafront when the incident occurred.

The collision, with a Nissan Micra car, happened at the junction of Saxon Road. The driver of the Nissan suffered minor injuries but his passenger, a 54-year-old woman was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital by ambulance, with serious but not life threatening injuries.

The police officer who was driving the police car was not hurt. 

Chief Inspector Natalie Moloney said: "It is unusual that we have had three collisions involving police vehicles in two days. I will ensure that each of the incidents are thoroughly investigated to understand what has happened.

"Clearly we are hoping that all those who were injured will make a speedy recovery."

Firefighters rescue woman and dog from Hastings fire

Firefighters came to the rescue of a woman and a dog, following a kitchen fire in Hastings.

Three crews attended the incident in Emmanuel Road yesterday (28th November) at 6.02pm.

An ambulance was requested for a 40-year-old female.

Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used one hose reel jet to enable them to reach the pet dog and lead it to safety.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.

Thursday, 28 November 2013

Service welcomes progress on fire safety and electrical intakes

East Sussex Fire and Rescue is welcoming progress on work looking at fire safety in the area of electrical intakes, after a key report from the Service was mentioned in Parliament.
The topic was recently raised by Jim Fitzpatrick, MP for Poplar and Limehouse in London, in questions to Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government Brandon Lewis in November 2013.

In reply, Mr Lewis confirmed that BSI (British Standards Institution) is currently considering the issue of overheated cut out fuses following a report by East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service and also that the Institution of Engineering and Technology has recently established a Project Team to look into this issue. This team will advise BSI on the adequacy of current standards. 

The background to this debate comes in part from a fatal fire in Eastbourne on Saturday 9 May 2009. This prompted East Sussex FRS Mark Hobbs – who investigated the fire – to consider whether there were wider issues around fires in electrical intake areas.

Following further investigations and research an investigation report was subsequently released in July 2010 in order to promote awareness and understanding of the issue of fires caused by localised resistance heating in the electrical intake area of a property.

Mark also produced a paper and presentation entitled, ‘A Journey in Fire Investigation: Achieving Wider Outcomes’ which focussed on fires involving electrical intakes which won an international fire research award at an event arranged by the Institution of Fire Engineers and the Fire Service College.

The issues raised in Mark’s work prompted the creation of a new warning label (see below) produced jointly by the Chief Fire Officers Association and the Electrical Safety Council. Distributed in the millions along with a leaflet, the sticker is designed to be placed near to electrical intake positions.

The label is designed to make the public aware of the potential fire hazards of storing combustible materials near to this equipment. It highlights how electrical energy can create heat - especially if a fault develops and how storing items near to this equipment could also create damage to the equipment, which may increase the likelihood of a fault developing.

Mark Hobbs said: “I am very pleased that this work is continuing. The benefits of sharing the wider outcomes from fire investigations are huge. It is the job of the Fire Service to know everything about fire and to share this  as widely as possible. ”

East Sussex FRS is leading the way in sharing information in its Black Museum, which has case studies and learning from fires. Find out more at:

For access to further information on electrical intake fires including Mark’s report: