Thursday, 12 December 2013

Chimney fire in Hastings prompts safety reminder

Hastings firefighters were called out to reports of a chimney fire on 11 December 2013 at 16.04.

Crews from Bohemia Road and The Ridge attended an address in Edmund Road.

A chimney kit was used to put out the fire.

Chimney safety advice

We know that many residents in East Sussex and Brighton and Hove City have open fires in their homes. If a chimney fire is left unattended, it can spread into the rest of the house but there are some easy ways to reduce the chances of your chimney catching alight.

  • Have you had your chimney checked recently? Make sure you plan to do this on a regular basis (we have further advice below) and check that chimneys and flues are kept clean and well maintained. We know that there are costs involved in checking chimneys but the investment is worth it to keep you, your loved ones and your neighbours safe.
  • Have you got a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers? If not, buy one now. They can prevent furnishing and clothing catching alight as well as keep people in the room safe.
  • Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house
  • Have you checked your air vents and air bricks are clear of blockages? You should never do anything which will stop or interrupt the air supply.
  • Is your furniture a safe distance away? Do not be tempted to sit too close. Your clothing could catch alight.
  • Have you got a mirror about a fire? You should move this and any other items which might encourage people to stand too close to the fire.
  • Always use a good quality fuel.

Further advice can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment