Thursday, 23 January 2014

Chimney fire in Ringmer prompts fresh safety reminder

Firefighters from Lewes were called to a home on Neaves Lane, Ringmer at 07.31 on 22 January 2014 to reports of a chimney fire.

Crews used a chimney kit, a hose reel and thermal imaging camera to ensure the fire was put off.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is reminding homeowners and businesses to get chimneys checked and to stay alert to the signs of fire.

Read more advice online.

How do I know when I have a chimney fire
  • A loud roaring noise, which occurs as massive amounts of air are sucked through the appliance or fireplace opening and used to oxidize the combustible fuels within the system.
  • Sparks and flames seen shooting from the chimney top, which can be firework like in appearance.
  • A glowing or shimmering appliance outlet or connector.
  • Vibrating appliance, outlet or connector.
  • Flames visible through any tiny cracks in the outlet or connector.
  • Smoke and odours noticeable in adjoining rooms or the loft space.
  • The heating up of the chimney breast or flue pipe, in the same room as the appliance and also other rooms that the flue passes through.

No comments:

Post a Comment