Monday, 10 March 2014

Man rescued from flat fire in Brighton



A man was rescued by Brighton and Hove firefighters after falling asleep whilst cooking at a flat in Brighton.

Neighbours in the upstairs flat alerted East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service when they noticed smoke drifting into their home in Gladstone Terrace, Brighton.

Four crews were mobilised to the incident on Saturday (8th March) at 9.07pm and remained there for half an hour tackling the blaze.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus forced entry into the property and used one hose reel which enabled them to rescue the casualty, who was treated at the scene by paramedics for inhaling smoke.

The cause of the fire was found to be accidental due to a pan of food being left unattended on the cooker.

More than half of accidental fires at home are started by cooking and many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended.

Don’t forget working smoke alarms in your home will give you the earliest possible warning of fire and that provides vital time for you and your family to get out stay out and call the Fire Service. If you do not have working smoke alarms in your home, we can supply and fit free smoke alarms within your home where appropriate.

Find out how to keep safe while you are cooking and what to do if a fire starts in your kitchen.
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service has the following safety advice to reduce the risk of fire in the home:

There are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen. Make sure you don't get distracted when you are cooking, and:
  • Take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you're called away from the cooker, eg by a phone call.
  • Take care if you're wearing loose clothing as it can catch fire easily.
  • Don't cook if you have been drinking alcohol or taken prescription drugs - you may get drowsy or lose concentration.
You can prevent fires when using a cooker or a toaster by following these simple tips:
  • Turn saucepans so the handles don't stick out over the edge of the hob or over another ring.
  • Double-check that the cooker is off when you have finished cooking.
  • Make sure tea-towels aren't hanging over the cooker and don't put oven gloves on top of a hot cooker.
  • Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - built-up fat and bits of food can start a fire.
  • Check that the toaster is clean and well away from curtains and empty the crumb tray regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment