Friday, 28 March 2014

Smoke detectors fitted by fire service give early warning

Firefighters attended a house fire in Hastings in the early hours of this morning (28th March).

Two people had evacuated the property by the time crews arrived.

The residents received an early warning due to smoke detectors fitted by East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service during a free home safety visit.  The early warning given not only allowed a full evacuation but resulted in firefighters being able to successfully contain the fire to the room that it started in.

Three fire appliances from Bohemia Road and The Ridge were sent to the incident at 5.37am at a house in St Helens Park Road, Hastings.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel to tackle the fire, as well as a Positive Pressure Ventilation Fan to clear smoke from the building.

Station Commander Paul Way said: “Working smoke alarms saved life and prevented what could have been a potentially serious fire".

“We would also like to take this opportunity to encourage people to carry out night-time safety checks before heading off to bed. This would include safely discarding of cigarettes, closing doors and switching off any electrical equipment, as well as not leaving the television on standby.”

Two people were taken to hospital following the fire suffering from breathing in smoke, as well as burns. An ambulance also attended, with a full fire investigation underway. The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.

No comments:

Post a Comment