Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Working smoke alarm saves lives in kitchen fire!



On 17th March at 2.36am, firefighters from Roedean and Brighton responded to a fire at a residential property in Coombe Vale, Saltdean.

On arrival crews confirmed smoke was issuing from the property. Fortunately, the owners had been woken by a working smoke alarm and were standing outside the building.

The fire had started in the kitchen fire and had subsequently developed into a very severe fire. The property was severely smoke logged.

Crews used four breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets to extinguish the blaze and also to search for the occupier’s pets. All the pets, which included cats and parrots, were rescued. 

An ambulance was requested for one female suffering smoke inhalation.

White Watch Crew Manager, Andy Cornford, Preston Circus said: “There is no question that having a working smoke alarm in this instance has saved lives.

“Because of how quickly the fire developed along with the severity of the smoke spread, if there hadn’t been a working smoke alarm, the consequences would have been extremely serious.”

No comments:

Post a Comment