On 2nd April at 5.17pm, crews from Preston Circus responded to a kitchen fire at a property in Withdean Crescent, Withdean.
On arrival, a female and two children were evacuating the property as smoke was issuing.
Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property. They took a pan of smoking food off the stove and took it outside.
Firefighters ventilated the property and a Positive Pressure Ventilation (PPV) fan was used to help disperse the smoke.
Watch Manager, Dave Statham, said, “In the event of a fire in your home, don’t try to tackle the fire yourself, get out, stay out and call 999. Never leave cooking unattended, and it’s very important that you know exactly where the keys to your alternative exits are kept; you may need to access them quickly in the event of an emergency.
“Have an escape plan you can use in the event of a fire and make sure everyone in the house knows what to do. With the Easter holidays approaching, why not get your children involved in this and practise what to do in the event of a fire. Potentially, it could be a life-saving activity.
And finally, smoke alarms really do save lives. They will give you extra seconds to get yourself and your family to safety in the event of a fire. Make sure you have them in appropriate locations in your home. Test them regularly. You need to be certain that they’ll work if you need them.”