Monday, 19 May 2014

Man rescued from flat fire in Brighton



Firefighters led a man to safety following a chip pan fire at a flat in Brighton over the weekend.

Three crews from Brighton, Hove and Roedean attended the incident in Mayflower Square at 12.22pm yesterday (18th May) following reports of smoke and flames coming out of a kitchen window and someone trapped inside.

Following the rescue a man was treated by paramedics for breathing in smoke and crews tackled the blaze wearing breathing apparatus and used two hose reel jets.

The Fire Victim Support Unit was requested, along with a representative from Brighton City Council, to assist with the rehousing of the occupant.

The fire was caused by a chip pan alight and it’s important to be aware that more than half of accidental fires at home are started by cooking.

Many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended.

You need to be especially careful when you are deep-fat frying or cooking with oil because hot oil can catch fire easily. Make sure you:

  • Don't fill a chip pan or other deep-fat fryer more than one-third full of oil.
  • Use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, which will make sure the fat doesn't get too hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment