Firefighters from Battle were called to reports of a chimney fire at 14.21.
They attended an address on Bodiam Road in Bodiam.
They used a chimney kit and a thermal imaging camera to tackle the fire.
At 19.54 a second chimney fire was reported in Brightling.
Crews from Burwash attended an address in Brightling Down and used a chimney kit to put out the fire.
There are no reports of injuries at either incident.
Anyone who has a chimney should ensure it is swept regularly and it is well maintained.
Find out more about chimney safety: http://www.esfrs.org/communitySafety/advice/chimney.shtml
How do I know when I have a chimney fire
- A loud roaring noise, which occurs as massive amounts of air are sucked through the appliance or fireplace opening and used to oxidize the combustible fuels within the system.
- Sparks and flames seen shooting from the chimney top, which can be firework like in appearance.
- A glowing or shimmering appliance outlet or connector.
- Vibrating appliance, outlet or connector.
- Flames visible through any tiny cracks in the outlet or connector.
- Smoke and odours noticeable in adjoining rooms or the loft space.
- The heating up of the chimney breast or flue pipe, in the same room as the appliance and also other rooms that the flue passes through.