Tuesday, 17 June 2014

Person suffers from smoke inhalation after cooking fire in Pevensey

Firefighters from Hailsham and Eastbourne were called to a fire in Pevensey at 20.46 last night (16 June 2014).

There had been a small fire in a pan.

Crews gave one woman oxygen therapy after she suffered smoke inhalation.

South East Coast Ambulance also attended and the woman was left in the care of a paramedic.


Cooking safety advice

There are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen.
  • make sure you don't get distracted when you are cooking
  • take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you're called away from the cooker, eg by a phone call
  • take care if you're wearing loose clothing as it can catch fire easily
  • don't cook if you have been drinking alcohol or taken prescription drugs - you may get drowsy or lose concentration
  • turn saucepans so the handles don't stick out over the edge of the hob or over another ring
  • double check that the cooker is off when you have finished cooking
  • make sure tea-towels aren't hanging over the cooker and don't put oven gloves on top of a hot cooker
  • keep the oven, hob and grill clean - built-up fat and bits of food can start a fire
  • check that the toaster is clean and well away from curtains and empty the crumb tray regularly

No comments:

Post a Comment