Friday, 5 September 2014

Safety advice following accidental fire in Battle




East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service is warning of the dangers of leaving items on or near a cooker, even if switched off.

This follows an accidental fire in Woodhams Close, Battle, at 9.43am this morning (5th September) after a plastic tray melted on a cooker, which had been accidentally left on.

Hastings and Battle firefighters were sent to the incident and remained at the scene until 10.25 and ventilated the property.

Crew Commander Jon Baker said: “A plastic tray had fallen onto a hotplate whilst the occupant wasn’t there but luckily the electrics were tripped, due to the incident, which saved the flat. The occupier wasn’t present and we spoke to a neighbour who had access to the flat.

“A plastic tray had been left close to the cooker, which isn’t ideal, and had fallen onto the hot appliance. We recommend that no flammable items are stored close to the cooker, however tempting this may be.

“People do this all the time but we would urge homeowners to take extra precautions in this area, as accidents do happen. An alarm did activate in the foyer area it was the smell which alerted the neighbours and we would like to praise their quick actions and taking the time to notify us.

“The neighbour did exactly the right thing and after investigating discovered smoke inside the flat, shut the door, left the building and contacted East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service.

“We would always urge homeowners to carry out relevant safety checks before the leaving the house, to ensure that everything is switched off. It is always best to switch the cooker off at the wall, so if the hotplate is left on it will be switched off.”

No comments:

Post a Comment