A crew from Wadhurst attended an address in Hook Hill at 15.51 yesterday (26 October 2014)
They used a chimney kit and thermal imaging camera to tackle the incident.
A re-inspection took place at 20.00 in the evening to ensure the fire was out.
Chimney safety tips
Ensure your chimney is swept regularly
Chimneys should be swept according to the type of fuel used:
- Smokeless fuels - at least once a year
- Bitumous coal - at least twice a year
- Wood - quarterly when in use
- Oil once a year
- Gas - once a year (Any work on gas appliances requires a Gas Safe registered installer/engineer)
Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house
Ensure good quality fuel is used
Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks
More advice can be found here: http://www.esfrs.org/communitySafety/advice/chimney.shtml