Thursday, 20 November 2014

Hastings firefighters head to the shops for Road Safety Week




Hastings firefighters are heading to the shops as part of efforts to make local roads safer.

It comes as East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service marks Brake’s Road Safety Week (17-23 November 2014)

Working alongside Sussex Police, the crews will be at Tesco’s on Church Wood Drive on the 24th and 25th November, offering advice and listening to concerns from local shoppers.

Station Commander Paul Way, who has helped organise the events, said:

“It is important for us to be able to meet people who live in our community face to face and understand what concerns them. We want to make our roads safer – for all road users and for pedestrians. We know a big problem is people getting distracted behind the wheel or not looking properly at junctions. If we can get people to pay more attention, we can make a real difference.”

Brake Road Safety Week – Look out for each other

This year’s Brake Road Safety Week is focused on getting people to make a pledge to look out for each other: http://www.brake.org.uk/pledge

Slow

Drivers – I'll stay under limits, and slow down to 20mph around schools, homes and shops to protect others. I'll slow right down for bends, brows and bad weather, and avoid overtaking.
Everyone – I'll speak out for slowing down and help drivers understand that the slower they drive, the more chance they have of avoiding a crash and saving a life.

Sober

Drivers – I'll never drive after drinking any alcohol or drugs – not a drop, not a drag.
Everyone - I'll plan ahead to make sure I, and anyone I'm with, can get home safely and I'll never get a lift with drink/drug drivers. I'll speak out if someone's about to drive on drink or drugs.

Secure

Drivers – I'll make sure everyone in my vehicle is belted up on every journey, and kids smaller than 150cm are in a proper child restraint. I'll choose the safest vehicle I can and ensure it's maintained.

Everyone – I'll belt up on every journey, and make sure friends and family do too.

Silent

Drivers – I'll never take or make calls or texts when driving. I'll turn off my phone or put it out of sight and on silent, and stay focused on the road.
Everyone – I'll never chat on the phone to someone else who's driving.
Sharp

Drivers – I'll get my eyes tested every two years and wear glasses or lenses at the wheel if I need them. I'll take regular breaks and never drive if I'm tired, stressed or on medication that affects driving.

Everyone – I'll look out for friends and loved ones by ensuring they only drive if they're fit for it, and rest if they're tired.

Sustainable

Everyone – I'll minimise the amount I drive, or not drive at all. I'll get about by walking, cycling or public transport as much as I can, for road safety, the environment and my health.



No comments:

Post a Comment