Wednesday, 3 December 2014

Crews praised for rescuing woman in Hastings fire

Firefighters who attended a fire in Hastings are being praised for rescuing a woman suffering from smoke inhalation.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called out to a property in Holmesdale Gardens, Hastings at 16.15 on 2 December. It followed reports of a fire alarm sounding.

Crews from Bohemia Road and The Ridge in Hastings, along with firefighters from Bexhill were sent to the scene. On arrival, smoke was seen coming from around a door.

Firefighters wore breathing apparatus to enter the property and found a woman in need of help.

Station Manager Paul Way said:

"Crews worked very hard to reach a woman who had had been overcome by smoke inhalation and required rescuing. They gave her first aid and she was taken to hospital. A second person was also later treated for suspected smoke inhalation. This demonstrates just how skilled our firefighters are when responding to emergencies."

Paramedics also attended the incident.

The fire has been investigated and was accidental.

Home safety advice

  • Have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home and test them
  • Make sure you don't get distracted when you are cooking
  • If you are a smoker, make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished
  • Regularly check your electrical appliances for problems like frayed wires
  • Remember if you do have a fire, get out, stay out and call 999

Find out more online at:

No comments:

Post a Comment