Doors open at 18.00 at London Road, Battle for the traditional Christmas Gala evening.
Crew Manager Dan Burnett said:
“We have got lots going on to help people enjoy the festive season safely. Firefighters will be on hand to give advice on everything from candles to fairy lights. We plan to offer free PAT (portable electrical item) tests on electric blankets, fairy lights and chargers too, thanks to P and S Electrical of Hastings.
We also want to remind people of the importance of taking extra care on the roads. This area has lots of rural routes which can get treacherous in snow, ice and heavy rain.”
“There is also an opportunity to find out more about Home Safety Visits. These are aimed at the more vulnerable members of our community – such as people with limited mobility – and can be real life savers. We can visit homes and find out whether there are potential fire risks. In special cases, we will even fit smoke alarms for free.”
Find out more about Home Safety Visits online: http://www.esfrs.org/hsv.shtml
Festive safety tips
- Never place candles near your Christmas tree or materials that can catch light easily.
- Keep candles, lighters and matches out of children’s reach. Never leave lit candles unattended.
- Never overload electrical sockets. Always switch Christmas lights off and unplug them before you go to bed.
- Decorations can burn easily – so don’t attach them to lights or heaters.
- Take time to check on older relatives and neighbours this Christmas as they are potentially at greater risk from fire.