Cigarettes are thought to have caused have caused a fire in Brighton, prompting renewed warnings about smoking at home.
A man was rescued from a 3rd floor flat by East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, who responded to a call received shortly before midnight on 16 December 2014.
Crews from Preston Circus and Roedean attended the scene on St Georges Terrace.
An investigation into the cause has concluded it was accidental with cigarettes as the most likely cause.
The effects of incidents like this can be devastating upon individuals and families so we are asking the people of Brighton and Hove and East Sussex to be more aware of the increased risk of a fire within their home when smoking.
- Never smoke in bed. Take care when you're tired - it's very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning and set furniture alight.
- Never smoke when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If your lit cigarette starts a fire you could be less able to escape.
- Put it out, right out! Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished.
- Fit a smoke alarm and test it weekly . A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.
- Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended - they can easily overbalance as they burn down.Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can't tip over easily and is made of a material that won't burn.
Find out more at: http://www.esfrs.org/communitySafety/