Friday, 23 January 2015

Chimney fire in St Leonards

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called at 19.40  on 22 January 2015 to reports of a fire in St Leonards.

Crews from Bohemia Road Community Fire Station in Hastings attended an address on Hollington Park Road.

A chimney was on fire.

They used the aerial ladder platform to help deal with the incident, as  well as a hose reel.

There was a re-inspection at 00.30 this morning (23 January 2015) to ensure the fire had not re-ignited.

The fire was accidental.

How do I know when I have a chimney fire?

There are a number of warning signs to look out for:
  • A loud roaring noise, which occurs as massive amounts of air are sucked through the  fireplace opening and used to oxidize the combustible fuels within the system.
  • Sparks and flames seen shooting from the chimney top, which can be firework like in appearance.
  • A glowing or shimmering appliance outlet or connector.
  • Vibrating appliance, outlet or connector.
  • Flames visible through any tiny cracks in the outlet or connector.
  • Smoke and odours noticeable in adjoining rooms or the loft space.
  • The heating up of the chimney breast or flue pipe, in the same room as the appliance and also other rooms that the flue passes through.
More advice can be found at:

No comments:

Post a Comment