Residents are being warned of the dangers of chimney fires and the importance of keeping them properly maintained following a spate of incidents.
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service were called out three times yesterday (4th January) to the following chimney fires:
11.51am – an incident in Windmill Hill, Herstmonceux.
12.03pm – a chimney fire which was out on arrival at a property in Carden Avenue, Brighton.
17.46pm – a chimney fire in Chichester Road, Seaford, however no action required by service, following an investigation.
The Fire Service would like to remind residents who enjoy an open fire in the chilly weather to take steps to keep themselves and their family safe.
It is important to:
- Ensure that your chimney is swept regularly.
- Remember that chimneys should be swept according to the type of fuel used:
- Smokeless fuels - at least once a year.
- Bitumous coal - at least twice a year.
- Wood - quarterly when in use.
- Oil once a year.
- Gas - once a year (Any work on gas appliances requires a Gas Safe registered installer/engineer).
- Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained
- Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
- Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house
- Ensure good quality fuel is used
- Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks
For full information on how to keep safe when using an open fire please check out our communitysafety pages, where you will find useful and relevant information, as well as contact information for The National Association of Chimney Sweeps.