East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service were called to a chimney fire in Flimwell last night (29th January).
Firefighters used one hose reel jet, along with a 12-metre ladder and chimney kit, to tackle the fire at a property in Hawkhurst Road, at 9.47pm.
Following the incident a Home Safety Visit was carried out.
Follow these chimney fire prevention tips to keep safe:
- Ensure your chimney is swept regularly
- Chimneys should be swept according to the type of fuel used:
- Smokeless fuels - at least once a year
- Bitumous coal - at least twice a year
- Wood - quarterly when in use
- Oil once a year
- Gas - once a year (Any work on gas appliances requires a Gas Safe registered installer/engineer)
- Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained
- Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
- Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house
- Ensure good quality fuel is used
- Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks
For further information please visit our community safety pages.
In the event of a fire get out, stay out and call the fire service out.