Thursday, 12 February 2015

Fire in Polegate believed to have been accidental

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service have concluded an investigation into a house fire on Hailsham Road in Polegate.

It is believed the fire was accidental, possibly caused by a spark igniting a thatched roof.

The site has been handed over to Building Control.

We were called at 18.21 on 11 February 2015.

During the incident, crews from Hailsham, Eastbourne, Forest Row, Uckfield, Herstmonceux, Seaford, Bexhill, Heathfield and Lewes attended the scene.

We remained there until 11.00 on 12 February.

 Although the home suffered very serious damage, no-one was hurt in the incident.

Crews worked hard to stop the fire spreading to a bottle gas distribution site and an area occupied by around 300 animals, including a small pony, chickens, geese, ducks and an owl. All are safe and being looked after.

The A22 southbound was closed by the Police and Highways agency for several hours during the incident.

The Red Cross Fire Victim Support Unit attended to offer assistance to the occupiers and looking after crew welfare.

No comments:

Post a Comment