Firefighters were called out to three chimney fires in one day.
The first fire broke out at 3.01pm on Saturday (7th February) at a property in Shepherds Gate, Colemans Hatch. Firefighters used a triple extension ladder, along with a thermal imaging camera and hose reel to tackle the fire.
The second incident happened at 6.02pm in Sweethaws Lane, Crowborough, and the third occurred at 6.31pm Dumbwomans Lane, Udimore.
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service advises following these chimney fire prevention tips to keep safe:
- Ensure your chimney is swept regularly
- Chimneys should be swept according to the type of fuel used:
- Smokeless fuels - at least once a year
- Bitumous coal - at least twice a year
- Wood - quarterly when in use
- Oil once a year
- Gas - once a year (Any work on gas appliances requires a Gas Safe registered installer/engineer)
- Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained
- Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
- Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house
- Ensure good quality fuel is used
- Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks
In the event of a fire get out, stay out and call the fire service out.