Monday, 16 February 2015

Safety warning following small kitchen fire



A safety warning has been prompted by a small kitchen fire in Newhaven.

Crews were mobilised Saturday night (14th February) at 7.17pm after a fire was started by a wooden tray left on top of a cooker. Luckily the fire was out on arrival at the property in Newfield Road.
 

More than half of accidental fires at home are started by cooking.

Many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended, or on top of the cooker, which is often used as a work top.

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service advises people not to use a cooker as a work surface, however tempting this may be.

Find out how to keep safe while you are cooking and what to do if a fire starts in your kitchen.

How to cook safely

There are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen. Make sure you don't get distracted when you are cooking, and:
  • Take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you're called away from the cooker, eg by a phone call.
  • Take care if you're wearing loose clothing as it can catch fire easily.
  • Don't cook if you have been drinking alcohol or taken prescription drugs - you may get drowsy or lose concentration.
Cooker and toaster safety
You can prevent fires when using a cooker or a toaster by following these simple tips:
  • Turn saucepans so the handles don't stick out over the edge of the hob or over another ring.
  • Double check that the cooker is off when you have finished cooking.
  • Make sure tea-towels aren't hanging over the cooker and don't put oven gloves on top of a hot cooker.
  • Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - built-up fat and bits of food can start a fire.
  • Check that the toaster is clean and well away from curtains and empty the crumb tray regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment